A revised version of his dissertation was published in 2014 under the title Politics in Friendship: A Theological Account (Bloomsbury / T&T Clark).
Guido lives in central London.
“By the time they begin at St Augustine’s, students have already reflected much on their faith and calling, which they continue to do throughout their studies. Teaching theology to people with such a level of commitment is a great privilege.”
Publications (English only)
- Politics in Friendship: A Theological Account. London: T&T Clark, 2014.
- ‘Overcoming Ethical Abstraction: Peaceableness, Responsibility, and the Rejection of Foundationalism in Bonhoeffer and Hauerwas’, in Matthew Kirkpatrick (ed.), Engaging Bonhoeffer: The Impact and Influence of Bonhoeffer’s Life and Thought. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2016.
- ‘Friendship’, in Draycott, Andy and Jonathan Rowe (eds), Living Witness: Explorations in Missional Ethics. Nottingham: Inter-Varsity Press, 2012.
- Robert Spaemann, Essays in Anthropology: Variations on a Theme.
Translated by Guido de Graaff and James Mumford. Eugene OR: Cascade, 2010.
- ‘Intercession as Political Ministry: Re-Interpreting the Priesthood of all Believers’. In Modern Theology (currently available in preview version at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/moth.12263/abstract)
- ‘To Judge or Not to Judge: Engaging with Oliver O’Donovan’s Political Ethics’. In Studies in Christian Ethics 25, no. 3 (2012), 295-311.
- Samuel Kimbriel. Friendship as Sacred Knowing: Overcoming Isolation. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2014. In Studies in Christian Ethics 28, no. 4 (2015).
- James Mumford. Ethics at the Beginning of Life: A Phenomenological Critique. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013. In Political Theology 16, no. 2 (2015).
- Jürgen Moltmann. Ethics of Hope. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 2012. In Modern Theology 29, no. 3 (2013).
- Bruce K. Ward. Redeeming the Enlightenment: Christianity and the Liberal Virtues. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2010. In Studies in Christian Ethics 24, no. 2 (2011).
- John Howard Yoder. Christian Attitudes to War, Peace, and Revolution. Edited by Theodore J. Koontz and Andy Alexis-Baker. Grand Rapids: Brazos Press, 2009. In Themelios 35, no. 2 (2010).
- Anthony Bash, Forgiveness and Christian Ethics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007. In Studies in Christian Ethics 23, no. 2 (2010).
- Stephen Holmes (ed.). Public Theology in Cultural Engagement. Milton Keynes: Paternoster, 2008. In ANVIL – Anglican Evangelical Journal for Theology and Mission 26, no. 3 (2009).
- Joel Backström. The Fear of Openness. An Essay on Friendship and the Roots of Morality. Åbo: Åbo Akademi University Press, 2007. In Studies in Christian Ethics 21, no. 3 (2008).
- ‘Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet’. New Dictionary of Theology. Eds. Martin Davie, Tim Grass, Steve Holmes, John McDowell and Tom Noble. Nottingham: Inter-Varsity Press (forthcoming).
- ‘Being for One Another: Friendship and Political Responsibility in Bonhoeffer’
Special lecture, jointly organised by the Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies, Catholic University Leuven (KUL) and the Evangelical Theological Faculty Leuven, 26 April 2016
- Talk on assisted suicide and dying, for Lewisham West Deanery Synod, 1 October 2014
- Member of interfaith panel on ‘Mind, Body, Spirit’ at St Barnabas Church Dulwich, 1 February 2013
Guido is a member of the Society for the Study of Christian Ethics and the Society for the Study of Theology (UK); and of the Society of Christian Ethics and the American Academy of Religion (USA). He regularly attends and contributes to their annual meetings.
Society of Christian Ethics (USA)
- ‘Equal Members of a Global Family: Theological Reflections on Human Dignity in Conversation with Jeremy Waldron.’
Annual conference, Toronto, 7-10 January 2016
Society for the Study of Christian Ethics (UK)
- ‘Human Equality as Family Membership: A Response to Jeremy Waldron’s 2015 Gifford Lectures.’
Annual conference, Westcott House, 4-6 September 2015
- ‘The Tragedy of Human Self-Evaluation: Barthian Reflections on “Quality of Life” and (Assisted) Suicide’
Annual conference, Westcott House, 7-9 September 2012
- ‘To Judge or Not to Judge? Engaging with Oliver O’Donovan’s Political Ethics’
Annual conference, Westcott House, 3-5 September 2010
Society for the Study of Theology (UK)
- ‘Intercession as Political Ministry: Re-Interpreting the Priesthood of All Believers’
Annual Conference, University of Nottingham, 13-15 April 2015.
- ‘Neither Utopia Nor Realpolitik – Political Friendship in Theological Perspective’
Annual conference, Durham, 31 March – 3 April 2008
- ‘A Gift of Common Judgment. The Friendship between George Bell and Dietrich Bonhoeffer’
Annual conference, Girton College, Cambridge, 26-29 March 2007
- ‘Friendship and the Ethics of Mission’
Ethics and Social Theology meeting (Tyndale Fellowship), Wolfson College, Cambridge, 30 June – 2 July 2011
- ‘Friendship as Common Judgment’
Inaugural Baylor Symposium on Faith and Culture: ‘Friendship – Quests for Character, Community and Truth’, Baylor University, Waco, Texas, 25-27 October 2007
- ‘Public Happiness in Political Friendship. Discussing an Aristotelian Theme in Hannah Arendt’s Philosophy’
Biannual Bonn-Oxford Postgraduate Conference, Oxford, 17-20 September 2007